Monday

it's a fine line...

Dear Abbey:
I've been known to put my foot in my mouth. ex: I've asked a new mother if she was pregnant. Repeated offenses have caused me to be hyper sensitive to my ability to offend. So recently, I was faced with a dilema. When a women's hair is a different color, I usually comment and give a positive spin regarding the change. This is acceptable. So when a guy I know who was gray, is no longer as gray, what do I say? For some reason, I was more inclined to say nothing at all and I can't figure out why. This perplexes me why I would have conversational fears like this due to sex. What is the standard protocol for things like this. Are we to pretend nothing's different? It gets better; with this paranoia instilled, I can't bear to ask him about the scars behind both ears.

Signed,
E.S.

No comments: