Monday

Tuesday, August 26

Sad but true

Callista and I went to a Walgreen's tonight to get some nasal spray, epson salt, shampoo and a chocolate racecar (guess who picked that one). This Walgreens is the closest to our house and has a majority of minority patrons in a mid to lower-mid class area. In parusing their aisles, I came across the condom section. They were right where they would be at any other Walgreens. Except, here it was different. These were guarded by a plexiglass case and a padlock--not conveniently located next to a cashier or near the pharmacy. You would have to study the inventory, decide what your fancy was, pace the aisle to find someone to open it, probably have that person try to find someone who actually is trusted enough to carry the key, tell them exactly which kind you wanted, then take it up to the register. Considering the context, location and more, I find this disturbing and sad on so many levels. Let me break it down for you with my 200 level socialology background.

Actually, I'm too disturbed to type it all out. You are going to have to figure this one out on your own. I trust you can read my mind. But don't give me the asset protection excuse. Those readers that know me are well aware of my background in that field, but this is socially inexcusable.

No comments: