Friday

Monday, October 27

One of the few email notifications I am signed up for is the Webster University Film Series (although I rarely make it to a show). They usually show some student films, mixed in with indies and some old classics. Well, I would usually get an email weekly describing the following week's shows. Last week, I received these three emails that gave me as much gripping drama that any film could:


Dear Patrons,

Many of you know that Vicki Woods left the program on July 25th of this year
and that I stepped in as Acting Director of the Program. Those of you that
have worked with me in this time know that I have worked very hard and
dedicated myself to maintaining the Film Series despite very difficult
working conditions. I have been the only staff member running this office
for the past 5 months, often working 60-70 hours per week to do both the
Program Director and Program Coordinator jobs. I was denied repeated
requests for an office temp and was then placed on probation for having
spoken with Human Resources about it.

On Monday, my employment was terminated with 30 days notice. I can no
longer justify working under these conditions and after 5 PM today, the Film
Series office will have no staffing as far as I know. Today is my last day.

I was told by Al Wiman, my immediate supervisor, that the Film Series will
be moved and "reorganized" under the School of Communications, and that
there is no room for me in the organization, but I was given no timetable.
Therefore, I do not know who you need to contact regarding business that any
of you may have with the Film Series, but I suggest that you start with Al
Wiman:

Al Wiman
Vice President, University Communications
961-2660 x6997
wiman@webster.edu


I am sorry for Dick Bauer, our dedicated projectionist and house manager of
Winifred Moore, who will be left in the lurch in this situation and who I am
afraid will be asked to do more than he should. I have wrapped up as many
loose ends as I can for the immediate future, such as for this weekend's
screenings, but unfortunately that is all that I can do for him and for the
Series.

I really, truly loved my job and I am sad to go. But I must turn to new
opportunities that are available to me now and concentrate on my immediate
future. I wish that I could assure you that everything is being done by
administration to ensure that the Film Series is maintained at the highest
possible level, but obviously I do not believe that to be the case.


Thank you and take care,

Marc Syp
Soon-to-Be Former Acting Director
Webster Film Series



This was promptly followed by this one. (Guess who must have gotten an ass chewing).


Dear Film Series Patrons,

I want to apologize for my previous comments regarding my tenure at the Film
Series, as I did not mean to make any unwarranted claims or implicate the
University or any of its administrators. Conflicts arise in any institution as
a result of miscommunication and/or missed communications and it is my wish and
belief that any such conflict should be resolved amicably. I am confident that
the University is committed to the long-term excellence of the Film Series and
will continue to support the program to that end.

Thank you,
Marc Syp


And finally there was this one that came a couple days later:

Film Series Patrons,

I am honored to accept the position of Director of the Webster University
Film Series, and would like to extend my appreciation to Debra Carpenter
and the faculty and staff of the School of Communications for welcoming me
and the series.

Despite recent announcements on this list-serv, the series is staffed, and
will continue to provide the finest in American and Foreign documentary,
narrative and experimental films. And, this weekend is no exception;

On Friday, October 24, at 8pm, we are proud to present Buster Keaton’s
silent masterpiece The General, with accompaniment be the world renowned
Alloy Orchestra.

Saturday and Sunday October 25 & 26 at 8pm, we will feature the Ann Arbor
Film Festival Tour.

All shows are in Moore Auditorium, in Webster Hall, 470 E. Lockwood Ave,
in beautiful, autumnal Webster Groves. Admission is FREE for Webster
Students, $6 to the general public, and $5 for seniors.

Hope to see you there!

Mike Steinberg, Director
Webster University Film Series
Webster University
470 E. Lockwood Ave
St. Louis, MO 63119
(314) 968-7487


No comments: