Thursday

Friday, October 31

Did Neil from The Young Ones get his own show? I don't think so!

Now what I'm about to show you isn't exactly an original thought since I saw it on TV the other night. But, I found it fairly poignant that there is a formula for tv show spin-offs. The key element to this formula is to name the spin-off. You would want it to be evident that it was related to the parent show. How do you do that? You use the name of the character that was carried over. For the most part, you really only need the first name (a la Friends : Joey). I was amazed in my research to find a plethora of examples, of which the successes can be counted on one hand:

Alice : Flo
Mary Tyler Moore : Rhoda
Mary Tyler Moore : Lou Grant
Cheers : Frasier
Cheers : Tortellis
Good Times : Maude
All in the Family : Gloria
All in the Family : Jeffersons
Dukes of Hazard : Enos
Barney Miller : Fish
Buffy the Vampire Slayer : Angel
Sanford and Son : Grady
21 Jump Street : Booker
Three's Company : Ropers
All in the Family: Archie Bunker's Place
Andy Griffith : Gomer Pyle usmc
Happy Days : Joanie loves Chachi
Spencer for Hire : A man called hawk
MASH : trapper john, md

No comments: